Best Python book(s) for a pre-teen? DRAPE

Cousin Stanley CousinStanley at HotMail.com
Sun Feb 23 11:01:06 EST 2003

|| My son is 11 and wants to try programming ...
|| I'd like him to be able to do simple graphics fairly early,
|| since I think it makes the whole self-learning process
|| much more interesting.

Mike ...

This is  NOT  a Python solution, but you might take a look
at the Drawing Programming Environment called DRAPE
which was designed with kids in mind ...

    http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/kids/drape.html

Drape was written to teach children some basic aspects of programming.

It has some resemblance to Logo but Drape is completely visually oriented.

Children don't need to be able to read.

Like in Logo, programs in Drape create a drawing.

A program in Drape consists of a number of commands.

There are commands that draw lines and shapes,
commands that move to a particular position,
commands that set properties, like color,
line width and size, and control commands,
e.g. to repeat commands, to call procedures,
and to test for mouse buttons.

Each command is represented by a little picture.

A program is a sequence of these pictures.

You create a program by dragging the pictures
to the appropriate place in the sequence.

Cousin Stanley