Why does Dynamic Typing really matter?!?

Hrvoje Nezic hnezic at no_spam.org
Fri Feb 7 08:37:10 EST 2003

I am not a fan of dynamic typing. I have just
read again what Bertrand Meyer says about
dynamic vs static typing in his book
"Object Oriented Software Construction (2nd edition)"
and I tend to agree with him. I think that his arguments
are very sound (as usual, of course).

I think that both static and dynamic typing have
advantages and disadvantages. Perhaps this
is a matter of habit, but I like static typing more.

Among other things, Bertrand Meyer mentions
readability, and I agree with him (based on my
own experience).
You could argue that by not writing comments
or documentation strings, you write less code
(which is supposed to be good), but I don't think that such
reasoning is very smart. In my view, the same holds
for not writing type declarations.
Writing types documents what are you doing, or what
you intend to do.