PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Feb 12 22:03:43 EST 2003

Bengt Richter wrote:

> "That cure" hasn't been presented before AFAIK, so how can you have
> pointed
> out anything about it before?

Um, you've posted about it at least a half-dozen times, now probably
approaching a dozen.

> It is _not_ a ternary syntax. {x} is an expression all by itself, just
> as [x] is,
> except that all it does is guarantee that {x} will be seen as true in
> any logical
> expression context.

I understand that.  It's a special form that says "evaluate me as True
in one context, but evaluate me to something else in another context."
This is remarkably confusing, and as for correcting the and/or idiom,
only complicates it.  Now it's even _more_ idiomatic, and even _harder_
to read.

And I seriously doubt that you've considered the full ramification of
the meaning of the syntax itself.  How would it be implemented?  How
would it be used in other situations?

Not to mention the fact that it uses curly braces which suggest
dictionaries when none are to be found anywhere nearby.

/  \ Will I disappoint my future / If I stay
\__/ Sade
    Bosskey.net: Return to Wolfenstein / http://www.bosskey.net/rtcw/
 A personal guide to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.