3D graphics programmers using Python?

Andy Freeman anamax at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 9 02:21:21 EST 2003

"Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message news:<1Bg1a.6641$1q2.633906 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> I have to admit, I've been doing C++ for 11 years and still don't know STL.
> Whenever I glance at it I just groan.  I've been avoiding the problem for a
> long time now.  Generally I take the "I'll just write my own" or "I'll just
> use an array" approach.

In other words, simpler is always better.  We've heard that before.

>                            This served me well in the past, when the vast
> majority of my 3D tasks were low level anyways.  But nowadays I'm more apt
> to run into "prototyping flexibility" problems and arrays just don't cut it
> anymore.

Less than a week ago, Van Every insisted that prototyping flexibility wasn't
important for his application or hard-core 3D programming in general.

>          I lost 5 days this week on a problem that shouldn't have been
> handled that way.  The code works, it's robust, and it's useful, but man it
> was too high a price to pay for something so simple.

Arrays are simpler than STL.  If simpler is always better, the above
can't happen.

Van Every has clearly been replaced by his evil twin.

>                                                         So I've decided that
> previous to learning Python, I'll swallow some STL the next time I have such
> a problem.  That'll cost me 3 days instead of a month.

Yeah right.

(1) You're not going to learn all of STL in three days, so clearly the above
    is "just enough".
(2) "Just enough" learning in python is three hours for significant stand-
    alone programs and maybe three days for tight integration.

I give the "evil Van Every" two weeks before he's ranting about the virtues
of Python over C++/STL.