.NET and Python?

Alex K. Angelopoulos aka at mvps.org
Tue Feb 25 05:00:27 EST 2003

"Robin Becker" <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:r5B7JUAp+dW+Ewm4 at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk...
> In article <b3ccv4$1isrmc$1 at ID-136433.news.dfncis.de>, Alex K.
> Angelopoulos <aka at mvps.org> writes

> >> Well certainly there's all those office apps which are mostly plumbed in
> >> with VBA, but you're probably ahead of me, so do they all come with C#A
> >> as well as VBA these days?
> >You don't want to go there, Robin.;)

> ....That's what I thought, but given the track record there must surely
> be an opportunity for Bill to do another confuse and destroy with
> multiple versions of C# for the office apps :(

To be honest, the problem is short term (well, I hope it is).  The problem is
that the new VB is really a .NET library based development environment, which
makes it fundamentally different from the VB/VBA/VBScript past.  Since .NET is
more coherent and ultimately better performing than COM was, the probable new
standards mean that any language which implements certain interfaces is going to
be able to do the internal scripting for Office apps.

I know, part of this sounds like speeches we've heard several times before. ;)