A Beginners Viewpoint (was:Myth)

Arthur ajs at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 7 08:29:00 EST 2003

> > Python is ideal for the determined beginner, but is a poor choice
> > for an unmotivated person who wants to be spoon fed.
>
> I'm not sure an "unmotivated person who wants to be spoon fed" is going
> to develop into a very effective programmer anyway. In my estimation,
> programming at any non-trivial level takes a fair amount of persistence
> and initiative.

I think both points are quite true.

Which is why I found it so bizarre that there was a period of time here in
Python land where some of the most trivial of the challenges faced by anyone
approaching programming via Python were being given so much attention - and
which so much solemnity.  Having felt that is one area that I could speak to
with some authority - and knowing quite well that I faced some real
challenges, but they were miles away from the issues on which there was so
much focus. Having developed some concrete ideas - from my experience -  of
what might be done to tweak things to improve the Python learning experience
for those approaching it with persistance and initiative - well the time
seems to have past where that is a subject of much interest.

Art