xmlrpclib, Windows, connection refused?

Jonathan McLin jmclin at cox.net
Fri Feb 21 00:32:16 EST 2003

I've been experimenting with a distributed application using xmlrpclib on
Python 2.2.  Preliminary development was on a single machine, connecting via
"localhost:8888".  This has worked fine.

When I try to connect two different machines, the client reports error 10061
from the socket lib, "connection refused".  I've tried connecting between
various machines running Win2K Pro or XP, with the same result.  I've tried
to connect using both NetBIOS names and explicit TCP/IP addresses, again,
same result.  The machines are all on the same subnet, same domain.

I've googled extensively to no avail.  What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jon