Python for small systems (ucLinux)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Feb 12 11:00:11 EST 2003

In article <b2djc9$vdp$1 at news.netpower.no>, David Brown wrote:

> I am going to be writing an application that will run on a
> ucLinux system. It works mostly like a real Linux system
> (except there is no MMU, meaning no virtual memory and no
> protection between process' memory areas), but is a lot more
> limited in resources compared to most Linux systems - perhaps 4
> MB Flash and 8 MB Ram in total.  Does anyone know of projects
> using python in such limited systems?

Once upon a time, there was a project called "deeply embedded
python" that was running Python on an embedded system (I don't
think there was any OS, but I don't recall).  It ran in
something like a few hundred KB of memory.

Here's a mailing list posting about it:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-announce-list/1999-August/000157.html

The URL in that posting doesn't work anymore, so it may take
some detective work to dig up more info.

Somebody else has already pointed you towards the Palm stuff.
That's probably more current.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  With this weapon
                                  at               I can expose fictional