Python license - Can I use it for my own software?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sat Feb 8 00:16:02 EST 2003

[dsavitsk]
> ... there are lots of people who claim to release things under the
> "Python License" (see
> http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=194, and
> http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=189)
> but this is really nonsensical.
>
> My assumption is that people want to release things with a Python-like
> license but don't realize that using "the" Python license is not
> appropriate.

I don't see that this differs from projects that, e.g., say they use "the
BSD license".  Of course they don't retain the bits about the Regents of the
University of California, Berkeley, but everyone knows what they mean.  So
far as SourceForge goes, you can't host a project there unless you have an
Open Source license, and SF's choice of licenses comes from a fixed dropdown
list:  you pick a license from that list, or you don't use SF.  The CNRI and
PSF licenses are fine for reuse, and it shouldn't require instruction for an
author to realize that they're not CNRI (or the PSF), and substitute their
own name accordingly.