Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Fri Feb 7 22:28:27 EST 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 01:21:33AM +0200, Kirill Simonov wrote:
> * Jp Calderone <exarkun at intarweb.us>:
> > >
> > > The only editor that can read the encoding declaration is emacs. Do you
> > > assume that *anyone* use emacs?
> >
> >   Who said anything about -reading- the encoding declarations?
>
> You wrote "It allows anyone to look at these files and actually
> *read* them". I thought that you meant decoding source files according
> to the encoding declaration.

  Ahh, true.  I should have phrased that better.

  What I meant was that while the editor might be smart enough to pick up
the encoding, the actual person doing the reading should *always* be smart
enough to see "coding: <something>" in the first two lines and take the
appropriate action to have the source display properly.

  With no encoding specified at all, it can be an exercise in futility to
get a source file rendered properly.

  Jp

--
Seduced, shaggy Samson snored.