Case sensitivity

Lexy Zhitenev zhitenev at cs.vsu.ru
Tue Feb 18 09:41:10 EST 2003

I prefer case-sensitiveness. Even in case-insensitive languages (Object
Pascal) I write identifiers in the same way they have been declared.

I think this practice comes from the prevalence of C/C++. Any man who cares
about programming sooner or later comes to this language. If he isn't used
to case-sensitiveness he may have an additional problem. And then, when a
man programs (a verb) for quite a long time, he gets used to his style of
programming, he names the identifiers, he uses 4 spaces for identification,
he writes {...} or begin...end in some certain positions - anyway he does
how he likes.

Python isn't Perl, where anyone can do anything he likes by 15 or 30 means.
Python is intended to be clear. It is not also PHP where keywords are
case-sensitive, identifiers are case-insensitive and constants are how you
like. I think that doesn't make the language clearer.

Beginners should get used to this style of programming, like they get used
to block idents in Python. That is my opinion.