Newbie question - input doesn't work in Emacs python-mode

K. Fleming kflemingNO at SPAMcox.net
Mon Feb 17 13:17:25 EST 2003

John Ochiltree <johnochiltree at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> K. Fleming wrote:
>
> > I just started fooling around with Python and so far have enjoyed it
> > immensely.  However, I came across a problem when using Emacss
> > python-mode.  The following line
> >
> > answer = input("Will this work?")
> >
> > will not work.  It generates the error
> >
> > EOFError: EOF when reading a line
> >
> > It works fine when I try to run it in IDLE however.  Can anyone help
> > me?  Thanks to all who respond.
> Using xemacs and python 2.3 I haven't been able to break it. As it works
> fine, what relevant versions are you using?
>
> John

GNU Emacs 21.2.1, Python 2.3
I noticed something strange, however: when I open the Python
interpreter from Emacs and type in the same line, it works fine.
However, when I choose to "execute buffer", the EOFError occurs.  I
have a feeling that Emacs is doing something behind my back...