Attitude about new keywords

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Sat Feb 8 22:47:37 EST 2003

In article <roy-DFDF5B.21573608022003 at reader1.panix.com>,
 Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

> > What it requires is giving up the idea that you can write Python
> > programs using any old editor that happens to be lying around -
> > it will require a syntax aware editor to make this notion feasible.
>
> Anything that requires special tools to use is a non-starter in my book.

That would be a non-starter for me too.  I like writing Python using
any old editor that happens to be lying around.  Probably in the last
week I've used at least eight different ones: ProjectBuilder (good for
larger multi-file projects), BBEdit (good for single files), emacs
(also good for single files, I don't like it as much as BBEdit but
doesn't require switching from the terminal to a different app),
TeXShop (I wanted to include some Python in a LaTeX document), my
newsreader, mail client, browser (trying to enter python code to
sourceforge's bug tracker, a mistake because it drops the indentation
when it shows you the code), and MS Word (another bad idea).  Oh, and
the terminal while typing at a command-line python.  Of those, only the
first two are syntax aware for me (no doubt emacs could also be made to
be) and even those two weren't syntax aware when I started using them.

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/