Octal number problem

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Feb 19 23:02:36 EST 2003

Gary Duncan wrote:

> int (0100) yields 64, whereas as you point out
>
> int ("0100") yields 100.
>
> One of my Python books mentions int(N) and in an example
> quotes N but doesn't say that it forces base-10

Note that in Python 2.x there's an optional second argument to int,
which is the base when the first argument is a string (it defaults to
10).  Specifying 0 for this base will let Python autodetect the base
(which isn't what you want here, but for future reference ...).

> Ain't the WEB wonderful :)

This is either Usenet or a mailing list, actually :-).

/  \ Time is a storm in which we are all lost.
\__/ George Bernard Shaw
    Erik Max Francis' bookmarks / http://www.alcyone.com/max/links/
 A highly categorized list of Web links.