PEP309 - built-in curry class (revisions)

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Feb 27 12:57:36 EST 2003

Carl Banks wrote:
> A new list-type that can grow on both ends would help functional
> programming a lot.

alist.insert(0, atfront) and alist.append(atback) may not have
equally good _performance_ characteristics, but they sure do show
that existing lists ARE quite able to "grow on both ends".  Funny
enough in functional programming I'm more used to lists that are
only accessible at the front (car/cdr, or pattern matching) and
are indeed lists (not vectors, like Python's "lists").

I do agree with you that curryleft and curryright can both be
useful, and curry should be just a synonym for curryleft.

Alex