PEP 308: Precendence of "a then b else c"

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 13 08:27:49 EST 2003

My newsreader seems to have quit putting >s in the margins. Sigh.

"Harvey Thomas" <hst at empolis.co.uk> wrote in message

Harvey:
With some proposals put forward there is possibility for confusion if
colons, particularly as in else: are used as I can imagine it's not
always going to be clear whether a code fragment is part of an
if/elif/else statement construct or a conditional expression.

John:
The proposal on the table requires parenthesis around the entire figure:

(if <condition>: <expression> else: <expression)

There is no ambiguity.

John Roth