Finding WS and other modules (was Re: Newbie: problem with own module)

Anna revanna at mn.rr.com
Fri Feb 21 20:18:32 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:09:50 +0000, Matthias Stern wrote:

> Hi! I have problems building my own modules. This is the a short version
> of the program with all functions (i show here only one) in one file:
>
> ---
> import WS

Stupid newbie question here - what's WS? And how do I find out? No - I'm
not being fascetious... I can't find any reference to it and I'm stumped on
where/how to look any further...

Let's start with what I have done.

1. I assumed it's a module (since you're importing it). From the thread,
I'm assuming it's not one that Matthias Stern wrote himself...

2. I tried opening IDLE and importing it to see if it was in the standard
library:
>>> import WS
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in ?
    import WS
ImportError: No module named WS

3. Googling on comp.lang.python* returns this thread and a 1998 post from
timbot re ws.py (which seems to have something to do with indentation -
but since it's not the same case as WS.py, I'm assuming that's not it)

4. So I tried a search on:
Python.org
Vaults of Parnassus
and ZVON.org

ZVON Hits for WS.py are typical:

Functions:
0
Methods:
0
Modules:
0
Classes:
0
Variables:
0
Attributes:
0
Misc:
0

5. Guessing it might maybe have something to do with web services, I googled
on that and ended up on DeveloperWorks... Which didn't have it either:
they did have a calendar-ws.py but no WS.py.

6. I tried sourceforge but their search was down... so I suppose I could have
missed it there...

7. I'd ask Timothy Leary, but he's deadH^H^H^H^ on the ultimate trip...

So - I'm back here hoping for enlightenment, or at least an answer to my
question: What's WS? More importantly, besides asking ya'll here, is
there a better way for me to find out?  What am I missing? I'm not so much
concerned about WS itself (although now I'm seriously piqued about about
it) as the process of finding modules that get referred to here on c.l.py
so I'm not constantly having to poke my head in and say "Hey, what's that?"...

Thanks!
Anna