Best Python book(s) for a pre-teen?

Lee Harr missive at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 18 18:55:02 EST 2003

In article <20619edc.0302181514.7a37d7b5 at posting.google.com>, Mike Silva wrote:
> snarflemike at yahoo.com (Mike Silva) wrote in message news:<20619edc.0302181127.6ad39e68 at posting.google.com>...
>
><...>
>> One other question -- I'd like him to be able to do simple graphics
>> fairly early, since I think it makes the whole self-learning process
>> much more interesting.  I'm talking about things like points, lines,
>> circles, fills, etc.  Is there a binding to the Win32 graphics
>> primatives in 2.2.2, or can I find one someplace?  If this is a RTFM
>> question, any pointers to TFM chapter, etc would be appreciated!
>
> OK, in poking around more I discovered Tkinter and the turtle module.
> This looks like it will be fine -- certainly kept me entertained for
> the last hour!
>
> (If this message comes through as a new thread rather than a followup,
> it's a google strangeness happening...)

I am using turtle graphics as the basis for a book I am writing for
beginning programmers. I do not use Tkinter, but Pygame, as I figure
the students are going to want to do more game-like things soon after
seeing the turtle (actually, I use a penguin ;-) run around the screen.

You can see more about it here:
http://www.nongnu.org/pygsear/

I am still actively writing the book, but you can see what I have
so far linked there. Any feedback is appreciated.