Case sensitivity

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Feb 21 10:57:23 EST 2003

Lexy Zhitenev wrote:
> Beginners should get used to this style of programming, like they get used
> to block idents in Python. That is my opinion.

So introduce a beginner to the excellent and very useful
module mx.DateTime and explain to him, or her, how and
why he or she needs to memorize (or continuosly check or
try) that the functions named (e.g.) 'today', 'localtime',
or 'add_century' MUST be lowercase, while (e.g.) functions
'TimeFrom' and 'Age' and 'Time' MUST be mixed-case.  Pah.

Where's the added value in requiring all of this extra
memorization or checking?!  Not only of beginners, but of
all who use this deservedly popular module, too -- and
of course many other modules.  Really, case sensitivity
gives no substantial added-value, it's just a small but
negative impact on programmer productivity.  Pity.  It
won't go away, so it's silly to keep debating it uselessly.
But let's not kid ourselves that it's a GOOD thing, pls.

Alex