Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 4 19:45:33 EST 2003

Roman Suzi wrote:

> That is why I am asking for unconditional raw 8-bit cleanness of
> Python
> without any -*- things...

Personally, I think it's an extremely good idea.  If high bits are set
anywhere in the file, knowing the encoding is essential, and so it's
good to require an explicit specification of the encoding to prevent any
ambiguity or misinterpretation.

The -*- convention is simply tipping its hat to a commonly-used
convention; it's already used, e.g., to indicate the indentation level
if desired.

Seems plusses all around; one might consider -*- in particular ugly, but
it's just following a common convention, and sometimes conformance and
recognizability is better than beauty.

/  \ In principle I am against principles.
\__/ Tristan Tzara
    Bosskey.net: Counter-Strike / http://www.bosskey.net/cs/
 A personal guide to Counter-Strike.