Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Wed Feb 5 11:09:51 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Michael Hudson wrote:

>Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> writes:
>
>> what if I have a program which comments are in one encoding and string
>> literals in another one? (I have a project which uses cp1252 in literals
>> and koi8-r in comments (sometimes).)
>
>How can that work?  How does your editor know which is which?  Or do
>you just flip from one charset to the other as needed?

No. I am working in koi8-r and I am accustomed to cp1252 letters as they look
in koi8-r. (I do not enter them - I only copy from some other source). The
editor (mcedit) just show them as is. That is why I am using it for the task
(usually I am using Emacs).

>> Is there any decent editor supporting utf-8?
>
>GNU Emacs 21.

Not in my Emacs 21. Probably I need some additional tweaking?

>I think WinXP's notepad.exe might.  There are surely
>others.
>
>Cheers,
>M.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi