The sprit of this newsgroup!

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Feb 21 16:21:17 EST 2003

Nick Vargish <nav at adams.patriot.net> wrote:
> Irmen de Jong <irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVE-THIS-xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>> I think that is the spirit of usenet. Help eachother out, share your
>> knowledge, and if you think a question is stupid, then just don't
>> answer, because you can use that time and energy for better things.
>
> I think you have that backwards... The spirit of Usenet is more like
> what you got on the Oracle newsgroup. c.l.p. is the exception, rather
> than the rule.
>
> For example, have you ever read rec.pets.cats? :^)

I never read that newsgroup, but a net.legend I read years and years ago
involved an attack on that newsgroup by denizens of the evil
alt.syntax.tactical, a newsgroup dedicated to the disruption of other
newsgroups. One of those would pose as a newbie asking questions about his
girlfriend's cat, got friendly replies, but his responses got worse and
worse, ending in I want to flush the cat through the toilet. Shocked and
outraged responses ensued, but various other regulars started to
agree with him, fanning the flames.  These regulars were in fact also
alt.syntax.tactical folks who had established themselves on the newsgroup
previously. Apparently the whole social dynamics of the group were
severely disrupted. If what you imply is true, perhaps they've been
disrupted until this day, and this event must've happened in the early 90s..

Perhaps I should dive into google groups see whether I can find any reality
behind this amusing story.

Regards,

Martijn