Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Wed Feb 5 18:57:29 EST 2003

> ok, if i put a "ä"(latin1) in my script it will be printed as an other
> character in the DOS box, with or without the encoding line (as it is
> now). so the entire encoding line did not improve anything, but caused

> a lot of work for me, changing all old files to get rid of the
warning...

> i'm +1 for way to specify the encoding, i just don't like it when my
(old)
> programs write out a warning at the clients PC.

I think I'm ready to leave this argument. But here is one more try: do
you think that it is desirable for people to be able to enter Unicode
characters directly into Python unicode literals?

If you do, I challenge you to modify the parser so that the encoding
need not be known OR that a warning is only generated when Unicode
characters are actually found in Unicode literals.

Cheers,
Brian