"More data is available" Error With _winreg Module

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sun Feb 9 16:55:11 EST 2003

John Abel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had a little more time to look at this.  As documentation is a
> little scarce for _winreg, I downloaded the Python source from CVS, to
> have a look at _winreg.c.  From what I can tell, PyQueryValueEx, and
> PyEnumValue don't seem to allow for extending the buffer passed to
> RegQueryValueEx.  When RegQueryValueEx is called on
> HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA, it can/will return ERROR_MORE_DATA if the buffer
> is too small, as would seem to be the case with my error message.

Correct.  These modules have never worked with the perf data keys.  Note
that win32pdhutil can extract performance data.

A patch to _winreg would be welcomed.

> Just as an aside, I've been playing with modifying _winreg.c, but for
> some reason I can't compile it.  When I build the pythoncore, the linker
> fails with "unresolved external symbol _inititertools".  Anyone seen
> that, or is it something I'm doing?  I'm using VisualStudio6.

I'm guessing you somehow have a source mismatch.  I've never seen this
error, and it still builds fine for me today with a fresh CVS pull.

Mark.