Python, a perfect crystal?

Paul Rubin phr-n2003b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Sat Feb 8 22:04:43 EST 2003

There's an old saying about programming languages: APL is a perfect
crystal; if you add anything to it, it becomes flawed.  Lisp, on the
other hand, is a ball of mud: throw anything into it and it's still
Lisp.

So now we have PEP 308, about conditional expressions for Python, the
subject of endless enormous threads here both in past times and now.

It's interesting that of the many many different conditional
expression proposals put forth, there's none that anybody really
likes.  It really seems hard to put this common feature into Python
without doing something un-Pythonic.

Does that mean Python has that APL-like crystalline characteristic?
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I do know that Lisp has been much more successful than APL for
developing big, complicated software systems.  Its flexibility may
have something to do with that.  Or maybe not.

Python will certainly keep evolving as its implementations get more
serious and powerful.  I wonder how that crystalline quality will
evolve with it.