Yet Another Case Question

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon Feb 24 18:18:04 EST 2003

David Mertz, Ph.D. <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
> SEMI-ANSWERS:

Okay, I give up, I'll just join the debate. You'll find me soon
also speculating about the right way to write a ternary operator. :)

What about "case consistent code is prettier" (if the actual
use of cases is actually sensible; if you spell something as 'fOo'
consistently I don't much care for it). Add to that that case sensitivity
is a great way to get code to be case consistent. Just like using
indentation for blocks is a great way to get code nicely indented.

Another one from the Zen of Python is "simplicity of implementation".
Case sensitivity is easier to implement than case insensitivity. There
are also less boundary areas where one needs to worry (getattr, and even
worse, __getattr__). Plus for the hypothetical source in unicode,
what constitudes upper and lower case is harder to determine.

Regards,

Martijn