Speeding up ftp, async/threadpool?

Ville Vainio vvainio at tp.spt.fi
Thu Feb 13 09:29:42 EST 2003

Andrew Bennetts <andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.1045130385.10906.python-list at python.org>...

> > optimizing this with a threadpool (which is easy to implement), but
> > OTOH it seems that an async ftp client could juggle hundreds of ftp
> > downloads/uploads at the time, effectively saturating the network. How
> > come such thing hasn't been implemented yet? I'm thinking of an API
> > like:

> If you can't wait for me to tidy up Twisted's FTP (and frankly I wouldn't
> hold my breath ;), I can give you some pointers on how to do it with current
> Twisted.  It is straightforward, just unnecessarily tedious.

I can wait; in the meantime, I could just do it with a boring old
threadpool. I've looked into Twisted a little bit, but would prefer a
simple library instead of a framework for this particular thing...
Doing it with Twisted seems a bit too ambitious for this humble task
I'm trying to accomplish.

But please do give the pointers, you might still convince me. I have
actually been trying to find a good excuse to get more familiar with
Twisted :-).