The value of ACE in Black Jack

Alan Morgan amorgan at Xenon.Stanford.EDU
Mon Feb 17 16:42:47 EST 2003

In article <2bc4a.14614$le1.233 at news1.bredband.com>,
Ole Jensen <ole_jensen at dbmail.dk.NO_SPAM> wrote:
>In Black Jack the value of the ACE depends on the sum of your cards if the
>sum is lower than 21, the value of your ACE is 11
>however if the sum of your cards increase to more than 21(if ace counts for
>11) then your ACE drops to the value of one.

Excuse me?  The value of an Ace is either 1 or 11.  It is assumed to be
1 if making it 11 would take your total over 21, but otherwise it is
your choice.  If you have an ace and a six then you have either 7 or
17.

>How would you define the value of ACE in python to the rules of Black Jack?

The function that returns the value of your hand should return a list of
possible values (there can only be two possibilities, so perhaps a list isn't
the best choice).

Alan
--
Defendit numerus