Best Python book(s) for a pre-teen?

Mike Silva snarflemike at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 14:27:57 EST 2003

Hi all,

My son is 11 and wants to try programming, partly because it's what I
do for a living.  Even though I don't (yet?) use or even know Python,
through some unexplainable thought process I've decided it would be a
good language to start him off with.  I've downloaded 2.2.2 and played
around with it for a bit, and I would now like to hand him a book
(with my guidance as needed) and say "go have fun!"  Is there a book
that would be suitable for this approach (again, assuming I'm around
to help out as needed)?

One other question -- I'd like him to be able to do simple graphics
fairly early, since I think it makes the whole self-learning process
much more interesting.  I'm talking about things like points, lines,
circles, fills, etc.  Is there a binding to the Win32 graphics
primatives in 2.2.2, or can I find one someplace?  If this is a RTFM
question, any pointers to TFM chapter, etc would be appreciated!

Thanks for any guidance.  I'm sure I'll end up having at least as much
fun as he does.

Mike