Reliably getting/setting the (current) encoding name?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Mon Feb 3 13:01:56 EST 2003

Michael Hudson wrote:

>"Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> writes:

>>I don't expect it'll be too terribly difficult, but wxprop is heavily
>>into types, it's got an lot of automation machinery (including
>>type-checking and coercian) for dealing with strings in a GUI as part
>>of an object model.  Suddenly switching the object-model to be unicode
>>based is probably going to cause headaches with upgrading old content
>>and the like.  It's just not a place I want to venture just yet.
>>

>Sounds like you're paying the price for being too clever :)

The wages of genius ;) .

Actually more like paying the price for not just trying the conversion.
 Because the entire system is automated the conversion was a matter of
setting the defaulting encoding to the system default (so logging and
like worked) and then rewriting a property type.  So now, the entire
thing is Unicode/utf-8, with only a few sub-classes which are using
strings for such things as module.class names.  The content is updated
on the fly by the conversion mechanisms in the properties.  Thanks for
the kick to do it :) .

>Shh, didn't we tell you not to mention the Secret PSU
>Licensi**$£*%^ NO CARRIER

Honestly, am I the only one who has noticed these access ports in the
PSU holding pens? Check behind your bunk.

Thursday is Apple-dumpling day,
Mike (The man in the scaly mask)

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder