Test if IDLE is a mature program

David M. Wilson dw-google.com at botanicus.net
Wed Dec 31 14:30:18 EST 2003

"Aubrey Hutchison" <abhjrpe at comcast.net> wrote...

> In older days before they had mature designs for automobiles you needed to
> get under the hood and tinker with it to make it work.

> Why do we need to do some tinkering with IDLE if is a mature design? There
> should never be a need for special names of program files for it to work
> otherwise it requires tinkering.

Hey, how about using Py2Exe to build explorer.exe from your select.py,
sticking that in your PATH, and rebooting. Is Windows suddenly not a
mature design? You are a part of what is known as a naming conflict.
That is when two things are referred to by the same name.

The built-in select module is of vital importance to a lot of
programs. You should not be naming your modules something as
meaningless as 'select' and sticking that in the Python path anyway..
What does your module do? What is it a part of?

Consider building a package containing your module instead, if you
insist on naming it select. eg: DB.SQL.select, or
Shopping.CustomerChoice.select, etc.

In any case, I think you may have missed some useful information when
you first read the Python documentation. (You have read the Python
documentation, right? ;)

David.