Case sensitive and ludicrous statements

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Sun Dec 7 17:16:12 EST 2003

In article <7xk758iaso.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
 Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> > You will notice that CamelCase was extremely uncommon (if used at all)
> > before the advent of case-sensitive languages, and there is good
> > reason for this.  It didn't make sense then, and it doesn't make sense
> > now!  (In a case-insensitive language.)
>
> The convention always annoyed me, but I think it was customary in the
> old days of Smalltalk.  When object-oriented programming became a fad
> in the 80's, it spread into other languages from there.

This doesn't make sense to me as an explanation.  Smalltalk didn't reach
much of a mass audience until Goldberg's book was published in 1983, and
other object-oriented languages (e.g. C++) did not immediately adopt
CamelCase (I see none in Stroustroup's 1986 C++ book).  In the meantime,
CamelCase (with or without the initial capital) was certainly used prior
to 1983 in languages such as Pascal.

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/