UserLinux chooses Python as "interpretive language" of choice

David M. Wilson dw-google.com at botanicus.net
Sat Dec 20 12:19:42 EST 2003

"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote...

> What I'm missing, however, is any *thoughtful*
> discussion of the issues involved. Your [perjoritive
> adverb deleted] response makes it clear that you
> didn't think of the issues, you just reacted.

The point he was making (in a rather convoluted way) is that optional
parens is against the Python philosophy. "Explicit rather than
implicit" being line 2. I would rather be forced to use empty parens
after a function call - it shows you/others exactly what you are
trying to do.

On the other hand, I would detest Python if by simply referring to an
object with a __call__ method caused it to be executed. I'd say that's
closer to braindead.

   a = sys.exit

Unless you design some silly rules to determine when empty parenthesis
should be allowed - did a get assigned the return value of sys.exit()?
 (yes I know it doesn't have one), or did some silly unclear
(implicit) rules stop that from happening. Did sys.exit() run on the
second line?

I think if you can't understand why this option isn't provided for
you, then you misunderstand some of the most fundamental Python
concepts. import this.

David.