Writing to the parallel port (Mem 0x378) when runnning WinXP or Mandrake 9.2

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Dec 6 08:49:07 EST 2003

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

>         W98 system. It works, but I've not been able to track down and prevent
> some OS preemption problem that occurs between 200 and 250 milliseconds
> into a stream of output data. This is with the process upped to
> REALTIME class, and the port "driver" thread upped to TIME_CRITICAL (a
> combination that should have the thread running at priority 31!)

Win98 is not a realtime OS, and it's unlikely you'll ever be able
to fix this sort of thing completely.  There are no guarantees whatsoever
that your code, even at so-called "REALTIME" level, will have any particular
latency.

If you really need that kind of critical timing, you should use
another OS.

-Peter