Why Python won't work on .net

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 8 12:13:16 EST 2003

"Duncan Booth" <duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Xns944B682EF5078duncanrcpcouk at 127.0.0.1...
> > The question is whether a Python implementation for .NET would be CLS
> > compliant (CLS == Common Language Specification). The existing
> > implementation has shown that this is not possible without giving up
> > parts of the Python semantics.
> >
> The main problem is that functions are first class objects in Python, but
> not in the CLS.

Thank you for this and the persuant explanation.  I had been wondering
whether a .NET subset would be sensible.  Hah!  The design principle of
'everything, including funtions, is a (first-class) object' is part of the
beauty and ease-of-use of Python.  Demotion of functions would point toward
'calculator Python'.

> The CLS uses delegates to refer to functions, and a
> delegate encapsulates both an object and a pointer to a method.
> I have been playing around with a variant on the managed Python compiler,
> and I think I have figured a way to implement Python which might just get
> around this bottleneck.

Good luck.  Not directly useful to me, but success can only promote the
usage of Python.

Terry J. Reedy