Tkinter and OS X 10.3?

Russell E. Owen no at spam.invalid
Tue Dec 23 14:16:35 EST 2003

In article <bs7pt0$a98$1 at panix1.panix.com>, aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz)
wrote:

>Anyone used Tkinter on 10.3 yet?

With X11 or with Aqua?

There are some nasty issues with Aqua:
- Python 2.3 (the aqua version that comes with Panther) has a bug that
prevents some standard Tkinter file dialogs from working. IDLE and a big
Tkinter app I am writing both make some use these broken dialogs.
- (Catch 22) You cannot easily upgrade MacPython on Panther. Simply
installing a later version (in /Library/Frameworks) causes nasty
problems when you try to install packages (an issue that has gotten a
lot of discussion on the Mac mailing list will apparently be resolved in
Python 2.4). You could delete /System/Library/Frameworks/Python, but
this is claimed to be a Very Dangerous Thing To Do by some folks in the
know. I still haven't gotten an explanation of why this is so bad and I
confess I'm still tempted to just do it and to hell with it, but I'm
going to wait in hopes of hearing more first. Python with Tkinter is one
of my main uses for this Mac, so the problem is a big one for me.
- Also, Aqua Tk still has a lot of cosmetic bugs. Menus and checkbuttons
show truncated or wrapped text for most choices of fonts. Some buttons
don't get displayed at first (but are present and can be pressed). Stuff
like that. There are a lot of bug reports on source forge, but there
have been several minor releases of tcl/tk with no progress in that area
(I don't mean to sound whiney; I realize full well it's folks like you
or I that have to volunteer to fix bugs for open source; I do actually
put in some work on Tkinter but haven't dared brave the guts of tk).

I imagine X11 Tkinter works fine, though I confess I've only just
finished building it and haven't actually run my app yet. Still, I can't
imagine why it wouldn't unless Apple did something dreadful to X11.

-- Russell