dynamic typing questions

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Wed Dec 24 03:33:18 EST 2003

In article <vubaoq1rmd1o5f at news.supernews.com>, John Roth wrote:

> The dogma is that if you're writing more than a dozen lines (and five
> or six is average) for a failing test, then you're moving in steps that
> are way too big. When I take bigger steps, I find I pay for it.
> The time spent debugging is definitely super-linear in the number of
> lines written between runs of the test suite.

It's more enjoyable all around to keep the tests and implentations small.

I've just barely attempted to pull off the TDD thing, but I was impressed at
the simple tests and short functions that came out of it. Everything felt
very orthogonal, and the code was easier to incorporate into a larger
program later on. I'm not totally sold on it yet (probably because I'm lazy)
but i'm impressed so far.

Part of why I think this happened is that simple tests trigger my laziness;
I don't want to have to write a lot of code just to do a little thing, and
that raises my standard for the straigtforwardness and ease-of-use I expect
in an interface. I become more user-centric.

I also think that the "refactor mercilessly" approach pushes a design toward
simpler, smaller, and more reusable units of code.

BTW, I had a hunch, and just as I expected, you're the guy that tipped me
off about TDD back in April. Thanks for that. =)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&frame=right&rnum=1&thl=0,1086251285,1086234179,1086227258,1086200927,1086219110,1086188445,1086131532,1086085644,1085963652,1086206531,1086172007&seekm=slrnb9orhr.toh.ramen%40lackingtalent.com#link2

Peace,
Dave

--
.:[ dave benjamin (ramenboy) -:- www.ramenfest.com -:- www.3dex.com ]:.
: d r i n k i n g   l i f e   o u t   o f   t h e   c o n t a i n e r :