cPickle from 2.2 to 2.1

remco remco at localhost
Mon Dec 15 08:25:38 EST 2003

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>"remco" <remco at localhost> writes:
>> These drawbacks (backward/forward incompatibilities) occur nearly
>> everywhere. I've used the Berkley db module, when it got updated, i had to
>> deinstall Python, reinstall an old version, check out all my data to
>> another format, deinstall the older python, and reinstall the latest
>> version. Next i had to create a new Berkley database and put the data back
>> in.
>
>That one got me too and it's a peeve of mine.  I think the Python lib
>should include a dbm implementation that it sticks to unless the user
>specifically requests a different one.

Using a newer library if it exists is always the prefered choice, i
believe.
But i would prefer an easy update of my databases as well ;)

Maybe it would have been better if the newer berkley would have been
renamed to something else,
or be configurable in an ini/conf file anywhere. Because i can also see the
advantage: if you run
your application with a newer python release (and it doesn't break), you're
using a faster and more stable
library, i guess. So no pachting needs to be done.

Cheers!
Remco