Using XUL with python

Christoph Becker-Freyseng webmaster at beyond-thoughts.com
Tue Dec 9 11:44:25 EST 2003

Gabriele Farina wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> hiow can I create a XUL application that runs with python?? Which libreries
> I need??
>
> bye

I only know two ways, that are worth considering (searching on the net
shows a lot of results but it's hard to pick the good ones ...):

- "LUXOR": afaik written in Java with Python/Jython abilities. Could be
a promising platform (but I don't know much about this) ...
- PyXPCOM: enable Python in the Mozilla-Framework (most of the stuff on
the net is quite old, however the actual code is stored in Mozilla-cvs
and recent. ActiveState use Python+XUL/Mozilla for their apps)
(Useful links might be:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/extensions/python/xpcom/ !!!
http://www.mozilla.org/catalog/architecture/xpcom/pyxpcom/
http://pygecko.sourceforge.net/)

IMO pygecko is a bit of "the right idea".
Mozilla Project should split up their stuff and make a standalone
XUL-Server supporting multiple languages. (Hey M$ is currently doing
something similar for Longhorn...)

cu cbf