Creating a List of Empty Lists

Fuzzyman michael at foord.net
Thu Dec 4 09:49:11 EST 2003

Pythons internal 'pointers' system is certainly causing me a few
headaches..... When I want to copy the contents of a variable I find
it impossible to know whether I've copied the contents *or* just
created a new pointer to the original value....

For example I wanted to initialize a list of empty lists....

a=[ [], [], [], [], [] ]

I thought there has to be a *really* easy way of doing it - after a
bit of hacking I discovered that :
a = [[]]*10 appeared to work

however - using it in my program called bizarre crashes....
I eventually discovered that (as a silly example) :
a = [[]]*10
b=-1
while b < 10:
    b += 1
    a[b] = b
print a

Produced :
[ [9], [9], [9]......

Which isn't at all what I intended...............
What is the correct, quick way of doing this (without using a loop and
appending...) ?

Fuzzyman

http://www.Voidspace.org.uk
The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site -
covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology,
spirituality, fiction and more.

---
http://www.atlantibots.org.uk
Atlantibots - stomping across the worlds of Atlantis.
---
http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk