Small languages (was Re: Lua, Lunatic and Python)

John Benson jsbenson at bensonsystems.com
Tue Dec 16 17:25:59 EST 2003

I used FORTH on the Commodore VIC-20 and -64. Sound chip access and light
pen input made for a lot of fun. However, the parameter stack is always in
your face; if you didn't push or pop it, it didn't go to a callee or get
returned from same. Because of this, I suggest that Pythonistas fans
accustomed to easily passing objects, lists and dictionaries to a called
function may feel rather hobbled when attempting to use FORTH. If you want
to keep high-level coding style and go for the small footprint, my guess is
that Lua (or something like it) would be much more friendly.