[Python-Dev] rexec.py unuseable

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Dec 16 15:08:37 EST 2003

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> > I fail to see how ACLs are a sound basis to solve the problem that
> > rexec solves. ACLs, in my view, are a sound basis to solve a different
> > problem (that of different identities accessing the same resources).
>
>  substitute "identity" for "calling object" i.e. function and i
>  believe that there is a viable proposal.

I don't think so. Suppose I have an object A protected by ACLs. Now I
write a new method

def doit():
  A.doit()

Question 1. What is the calling object?
Question 2. Assuming it is "the doit function", and assuming the doit
function is not listed in the ACL: Will the call be executed?
If yes: What is the purpose of the ACL then?
If no: I believe the proposal is not usable in practice. For example,
what should be the ACL on calling open()?

Regards,
Martin