I see advice on how to debug a python module that hangs up the process

JD lists at webcrunchers.com
Tue Dec 16 18:37:22 EST 2003

On Dec 16, 2003, at 2:45 PM, Robin Munn wrote:

> The first step I'd suggest is to sprinkle print statements all around
> your code:
>
>     print "About to call some_func()..."
>     some_func()
>     print "Returned from calling some_func()..."
>
> Then you can watch the console output (or redirect it to a file for
> later perusal) and see when the thing hangs.

We already know the function it hangs up at.   It's a Python function
we defined.

Obviously,   we put a print statement right at the beginning of the
errant
function,  but it doesn't appear to be getting there.

IE:

print "before function call"
my_function(some_arguments)
print "after function call"

def my_function(some_arguments):
	print "start of function call"      <---  this never gets called,  or
we don't see the output
          <rest of code>

So when this piece of code is called,  we get:

before function call
   <system hangs up>

Then,  we have to do a "kill -9" the process.

John