Remembering

Marcos Eimil Pardo marcos at nordesia.org
Mon Dec 22 13:43:21 EST 2003

MComp escribió:

> Hey guys, I'm another new to programming guy.  I have one quick
> question.  How do you make a program not forget everything you input,
> once it shuts down?  Thanks in advance.

you can save read data to a file:

data=raw_input("type some data> ")
# open a file to write text
f=file("savedata","wt")
# save data to file
f.write(data)
# close file
f.close()

and when you reload your program you can read data from file:

# open a file to read text
f=file("savedata","rt")
# save data to file
data=f.read()
# close file
f.close()

well this is a very simplistic solution, if you want to save multiple data, you
must save it following some convention, for example if you have read name and
age, you can save it in a text file, with two lines, the first with name and the
second with age, and when you restart your program you should read from file in
the same order:

#to write multiple data item on multiple lines
name=raw_input("name> ")
age=raw_input("age> ")
# open a file to write text
f=file("savedata","wt")
# save name to file
f.write(name)
# write newline character
f.write("\n")
# save age to file
f.write(age)
# close file
f.close()

#to read multiple data item on multiple lines
# open a file to read text
f=file("savedata","rt")
# read name from file (name is in first line)
# attention: we use readline to read one line, read() gets entire
# file (read manual for more information)
name = f.readline()
# read age from file (age is in second line)
age = f.readline()
# age and name are strings terminated with a new-line character,
# we may want to strip this last char, we can do it this way:
age = age[:-1]
name = name[:-1]
# close file
f.close()