Storing pairs of (int, int) in a database : which db to choose ?

Karol Zadora nospam at nospam.net
Sat Dec 27 13:21:24 EST 2003

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7xk74mik64.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> andreif at mail.dntis.ro (Stormbringer) writes:
> > Sounds like a poorly designed system the one you messed with.
>
> The system I messed with wasn't designed for high volumes of updates.
>
> > Even if it was limited i/o traffic I am not sure how to do profiling
> > to find out if this is the case (although I do have doubts about this)
> > - any suggesions how ?
>
> A crude but maybe useful thing you can do is just observe the CPU load
> while the program is running.  If the CPU load is low but you hear the
> disk banging around, you're i/o bound.  As for profiling, there's a
> Python profiler documented in the Python library manual, that's the
> first thing to try.
>
> There's a good article series on full text indexing at tbray.com which
> might interest you, by the way.  It was linked from Slashdot a couple
> days ago.

On Windows, to determine if you are I/O bound, you might try to watch
these two counters:
- Physical Disk: Avg. Disk Queue Length (should be not more than three
times the number of physical disks (spindles) used by your program)
- Physical Disk: Avg. Disk sec/Transfer (should be less than 15-18 ms)

HTH, Karol