Chameleon ++

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 03:58:48 EST 2003

In article <cGdzb.37118$aT.29305 at news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Samuel
Sagan <samuelsagan at clairvision.org> writes
>Hi
>I'm considering starting a new project at SourceForge, codenamed
>'Chameleon++'.
>
>The concept is to develop a set of C++ clases and functions that closely
>mimmick the Python fundamentals: lists, tups, dictionnary, built-in
>functions and, later, as many modules as possible.
>
>This would make it relatively easy to convert Python code into C++, using
>mainly regular expressions and string replacement.
>
>In other words: compile Python apps via C++.
>
>Less important, but could come handy at times: the Chameleon++ subset of C++
>would make it very easy for people knowing Python to write in C++.
>(Chameleon++ would not use pointers, etc -- only what we use in Python.)
>
>Among other things, Chameleon should also provide a pathway to .NET, since
>C++ compiles to .NET. But the main goal remains to compile Python apps via
>the C++ route.
>
>Before starting, any comments or directions you may have would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Samuel Sagan

Before reinventing the wheel, have you compared what you intend with
what boost python already does? Or is the intention to emulate python in
C++? There's also a python for net extension recently announced (I
forget the name). In addition the pypy project intends to write python
code translators and have it translate python to various backends.
--
Robin Becker