Installing Python 232 onto CD-ROM

Barry Newberger bnsbp at texas.net
Sat Dec 6 15:07:02 EST 2003

Wanted to install Python 2.3.2 for Windows onto a CD-ROM.  Problem,  my
high-speed connection is on PC with no CD burner.  My solution: install
onto USB removable cartridge, move the cartridge to my "other" computer
and burn image of the cartridge onto the CD.  Oh silly me.
Installation onto the cartridge, and so far, so good.  Install and runs
hunky-dory from the removable.  Burn onto the CD, and launch.  Now fails
with an "import site failed" error.  After hitting the documentation,
heck the sys.path list and no \lib\site-packages subdirectory.  (Running
from the removable, this subdirectory does appear.  And the subdirectory
is on both the CD-ROM and removable cartridge.)  Add a .pth file with
the subdirectory string.  Still no good.

Crying uncle at this point.

TIA,

Barry Newberger