More than one cookie with urllib2

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Dec 23 10:37:23 EST 2003

"John J. Lee" wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
> [...]
> > > Cookies aren't insane in concept, but their implementation leaves some
> > > things to be desired.
> >
> > Agreed... especially with IE6.1, where I still have an incredibly annoying
> > problem with a Zope-based Intranet where my cookies are being forgotten
> > periodically, which among other things has led to repeated data loss
> [...]
>
> Do you know why / when / which?  Are these cookies in your browser or
> your users' browsers?  Third party?  Session or persistent?

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the above or I would definitely have
fixed it by now.  It's intermittent, though at least after two years I've
found a way to reproduce it fairly reliably with an adequate number of
clicks between a particular set of links I use often.  The cookies that
are lost are both session and persistent: in fact all cookies pertaining
to one particular domain are lost simultaneously, it seems.  My own
browser (IE).  Using a home-brew issue tracker that was written largely
with DTML about three years ago...  at the moment I'm still assuming
it's a problem only with that product, but it does not affect Mozilla
at all so it's clearly linked to IE-specific behaviour.

> Of course, cookies are "allowed" to vanish at random times.  I
> remember reading something about servers telling browsers which
> cookies are important to users and shouldn't be thrown away, but I've
> completely forgotten where that was...

Hmm.... I doubt they're supposed to vanish if there is not too much
data stored in them, and as there are no reports that I can find on the
web about similar behaviour, I suspect they _don't_ vanish, even if they're
allowed to.

-PEter