diferences between 22 and python 23

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Dec 4 02:28:16 EST 2003

"Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> writes:

> AFAIK, that's the plan.  IIRC, rationale was that there would be some
> other type for 8-bit data, while all "normal" strings would become
> Unicode strings.

No. <type 'str'> will remain a byte string type for any foreseeable
future. The only change that is likely to happen is this: To denote
bytes > 128 in source code, you will need to use escape codes.

A change that might happen in the future is this: A string literal
does not create an instance of <type 'str'>, but an instance of <type
'unicode'>. However, IMO, this should only happen after a syntax for
byte string literals has been introduced.

> >I'm very unimpressed with this decision if that's the case.
> >
> Doesn't make me ecstatic, either, as I like the simple 8-bit-clean
> string type.  But maybe we'll luck out and it will turn out that I'm
> all wet on this one :) .

The byte string type is not going away. It is a useful type, e.g. when
reading or writing to or from a byte stream.

Regards,
Martin