newbie: suppressing return values

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Wed Dec 3 22:03:57 EST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:41:13 -0700 (MST), Jim Benson wrote:
>   I have a simple newbie question:
> It appears that in general functions "show"
> their return values. i.e.

> ...     list = [1,2,3]
> ...     return list

> [1, 2, 3]

This is only in the interactive Python prompt.  Python will show the
"result", for want of a better word, of any callable or displayable
object you type in at the prompt.

So there's nothing inherent in 'return' that makes it output its value;
it's the invocation of that function at the Python interactive prompt
that gives that effect.

--
 \        "I washed a sock. Then I put it in the dryer. When I took it |
  `\                              out, it was gone."  -- Steven Wright |